My Podcast

2023/11/16

Show review - Doona! (Netflix)

 Did I binge this show? Yes. Am I frustrated? Also yes.

* * * Please be aware that there will be spoilers here as I do not watch what I say, especially if I'm ranting lol. Make sure that you're okay with spoilers or come back after you've finished watching the show. * * *

Doona! poster

So for the couple of weeks I've been watching a new Netflix show - Doona! It's a Korean drama that was released on October 20th, 2023, so only a few weeks ago. It has 9 episodes, each around 45 minutes long. It has hit top 10 lists in 67 countries, which is pretty impressive. Although, nowadays Korean obsession has hit the whole world like a storm so it's not that unpredictable. I'm reminiscing of the days 10+ years ago when I had interest in Korean culture and people wouldn't really say much about it. Nowadays people just make silly comments once they find out "Oh So YoU'rE oBsEsSeD wItH bTs ThEn? 🥴" - No, I actually don't really listen to them, I simply have different interests than yours, surprise. 🙄

I'm not really that surprised about the success of this show, considering the main actor is Bae Suzy, a member of the now disbanded Kpop girl group miss A. I was actually a fan of that group, since it was so different at the time (2010), especially their debut song. So pretty sad they've finished their career as a group. 🥲 

Kpop girl group - miss A

Suzy was definitely one of the most popular members of the group towards the end of miss A's reign and the group was often labeled as "Suzy and friends", this usually occurs when one member of the group becomes significantly more famous and having a much larger fanbase than the rest. I am not into digging too much about the intricacies of Kpop (I rarely read into idol's personal lives), so I can't give you much more in terms of knowledge or perspective. If you're interested to find out more, you can read an interesting thread about it on Reddit. 

Doona! poster

Yays of the show: 

  • If you watch K-dramas, you know how notorious they can be when it comes to product placement. If the drama is extremely well anticipated and got good investors, you bet you'll see product placement from episode 1 onwards. Thing is, when it happens they're not even subtle about this. You'll get full on 5 minutes of different angles and sometimes even "how to use" section or even discussion between characters. Please make it stop. 🥲 Surprisingly I didn't see (potentially, unless I missed) any of that. I was slightly concerned at the beginning of it, when the male protagonist first moves to his shared apartment and finally sits on his bed and grabs some juice/vitamin (?) drink and mentions the flavour. I was slightly confused on the purpose of that scene but we didn't get a full on shot of the product he was drinking so even if it was a product placement, I can let this one go lol.

  • Realistic relationship scenes. I can't believe we are finally seeing more and more realistic relationships in Korean dramas. I'm so tired of the fish lips and dry kisses. "Oh, I'm so passionate about this girl, I'm burning with love and desire, let me just touch my dead, motionless lips onto hers with my eyes wide open". Yeah... That's definitely what happens... 😐 Well, surprisingly Doona! offers a pretty good look into realistic passionate relationships with ACTUAL decent kissing scenes. Maybe just tone down on the extremely OTT overdub of the kissing sounds. As somebody who despises ASMR this sounded like nails on the chalkboard to me. 🤣

  • Talking about the issues within the entertainment business - manipulative managers, extreme binding contracts, destructive scandals, family issues.


Nays of the show:

I'm sorry but what the heck is that ending??? Here I was, eating my breakfast and before I even took 3 bites the show was finished?! I didn't even realise I was watching the last episode! I was so confused, I thought maybe there was a glitch and there is another episode still, but nah, that was it. So then I went on Google trying to find out whether there's more episodes coming in the next weeks or what, because you can't tell me that's it. I can accept the fact if it doesn't get renewed for season 2 as it's such a common occurrence but you can't tell me that the writers decided "yeah this ending will do". I even read some articles stating that it had a "bittersweet conclusion". What conclusion exactly? Ok so the main characters can't/won't be together for whatever reason, and then they pass each other while in different country on business trip. The end. Eh??? That is neither bittersweet nor conclusion. I don't care what anybody says. 🙃 This felt so unfinished and unresolved! Look, I'm not opposed to some good old bittersweet cliffhanger to finish the story forever, the situation where you kinda have to create your own ending and ponder the character's lives. But this is just not it, no. 

The show wasn't on the top of my list anyway, considering some recent stuff that I've loved like "The Glory" or "Mask Girl". So at least I've expected some sort of resolution, a more defined ending. Call me fussy if you like. 🙃 

Ah, I'm just a little bit disappointed. I need to find something new to watch. So I started watching another K-drama called "Agency" and I'm already not sure lol. Within the first 15 minutes we had 2 very obvious product placements. Ah, please tell me this will get better and wish me luck. 🙃

My Podcast: A Pint Of Rice | My IG: Lina B 🦭

Byeee~

Lina (Rinatsu)

No comments:

Post a Comment