My Podcast

2023/11/30

Adventures in Hong Kong! The Journey

If you're looking for recommendations on places to visit in Hong Kong or just want to see some cool stuff then the Hong Kong adventure posts are for you!~

When I re-started this blog a couple weeks ago, I did a thorough read through my old posts and confirmed my passion for adventure. Look, as a teenager and young adult I was full of drive to try new things, but either didn't have enough funds or time. After I moved to UK 10 years ago, I finally managed to visit a couple countries. I briefly visit Copenhagen, Denmark (which didn't leave the best impression on me...), and done a road trip across West of France. I'm not a person who is interested in travelling the world. I'll be honest, some countries I'm not interested at all. When I travel, I love to immerse myself in their culture, so if some country's culture is not my cup of tea I simply don't fancy going there. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as it's simply a preference. Social media has instilled this image in our heads that we MUST travel around the world, visit every country, just constantly be on the go. But in the real world, it's not quite that easy if you're not financially well off, or people simply do not have interest, as, let's be honest, it kinda sounds like a chore lol (as much as it is controversial to say lol).

My husband is originally from Hong Kong and he grew up there. So when we finally managed to travel to HK earlier this year, I was over the moon. We treated it as a honeymoon trip, even if it was 2 years late lol. I've got to meet some of his family, visit his favourite childhood locations and experience an amazing culture. 

Our favourite plushies always travel with us

It used to be so easy when we lived in Milton Keynes. London is just down the road and all airports are easily reachable. Over the years we moved around a couple of times for business and we're currently residing in Worcestershire. So nowadays Heathrow airport can be 2 hours + car drive away. 😩

I've never been on a long haul flight. My longest flight has always been UK - Lithuania / Lithuania - UK. Only 3.5 hours long! Barely any time to even get a drink! Not that I do anyway because purchasing anything on the plane is ridiculously expensive. 🙃

This wasn't our plane but it looked cool haha

Twelve hour flight sounds terrifying but free snacks, drinks (including alcohol) and 2 mealtimes really make up for it. Don't forget all the movies you can watch that haven't been placed on Netflix yet! 😂

A glass of Prosecco before takeoff

Ok, I can't say that everything was exactly perfect during the flight. We were located next to this makeshift wall that separated premium economy (where we were sitting) from business class and when the turbulence started, the separator broke and slammed down opening up the place. The turbulence was nothing like I've ever experienced before. It felt like we were falling down and I legit thought I was gonna die. The stewardess running around and trying to put the separator back up made everything look a lot worse because they couldn't stand properly and it looked like an emergency when it wasn't. My husband was asleep and everyone seemed chilled while I had streams of tears running down my face cos I was so scared lol. I could definitely tell that I was the only one there who has never experienced anything like this. 

One of the meals during the 12 hour flight

I've watched so many videos about plane food, I couldn't wait to try it myself. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I have heard that they have to salt the food a lot more to make it have taste, because our taste buds get affected by high altitude but honestly it was way too much. the prawn and corn salad thing seen in the photo above was ridiculously salty. I could barely finish it. Was I correct at the saltiness level or are my taste buds that sensitive to salt? Who knows lol.

Betsy craft beer by Gweilo brewery

Twelve hours on the plane was so exhausting, I couldn't wait to get off. But once I started seeing the mountains through the windows, I couldn't hold my excitement! I kept looking around but people weren't looking through the windows at all, which was shocking. I wanted to sit by the window to see everything but I was sitting in the middle. People were wasting such a precious opportunity. I'm definitely sitting by the window next time we're going to HK! 

Meal 2 during UK - HK flight

Actually the meals were really filling. We flew using Cathay Pacific and it was really decent. Next time we'll be using Economy class so we'll see if the meals are still alright. I loved the little jam jars and chocolates. I couldn't' even finish them all as I'm not used to eating so many sweet things for my meals! 

Mountains surrounding the International Hong Kong Airport

Landing in Hong Kong was like a dream. I know it might sound silly but it truly felt unreal. I've never left Europe so finally fulfilling my dream and coming to Asia at age 31 was something else. I tried to keep my cool because I didn't want my excitement to come across as odd and have border security detain me. 🤣 Luckily it all went perfectly fine. I was really looking forward getting a stamp in my passport because I've only been to Schengen zone countries so I never needed any visa or stamp, but unfortunately they have changed their system recently and you only get a little piece of paper with your details printed, as well as the date when you have to legally leave if you only come as a tourist. Hong Kong has different rules for different countries, but generally your stay is limited to somewhere between 1 and 6 months. Hopefully next time we can cross into China too and I can finally get my stamp lol. 

International Hong Kong Airport exit towards taxi car park

Make sure to follow my blog as I'll be posting a lot more adventures from Hong Kong and really cool locations to visit!~

My Podcast: A Pint Of Rice | My IG: Lina B 🦭

Byeee~

Lina (Rinatsu)

No comments:

Post a Comment